Wednesday, July 06, 2005

The NEW "What Is Your Race, Please?"

-------------------------------------

Starting today, if your name isn't on this list, I will delete your posts. Period.

I will request your racial identity ONCE and, if you choose to post anything before you've complied, it will be gleefully destroyed.

There will be NO EXCEPTIONS.

SOURCE - http://p076.ezboard.com/fpoliticalpalacefrm1.showMessage?topicID=9922.topic

(...)

Black Krishna sez hey...

------------------------------------

Nice to meet everybody, I'm letting you know in response to this thread that I'm a "brown" guy, born of East-Indian immigrant parents in Canada.

I'm not here to cause controversy, but some people (just a few) invent beef with my name on principle, so I may as well set the record straight now in response to this topic.

I'm not black.

I know that.

However, I'm down for the cause of any oppressed people, and frankly, largely thanks to hip hop I know and sympathize with the ills of North American black culture more than those of say... the people of East Timor. (Though I wish them all the best too.)

And if I understand why a lot of rappers tell "real" tales of street-life based on systemic prejudice society needs to eradicate, I think that was the point.

As Tupac said: "If I keep showing people how bad it really is, maybe they'll do something to stop it."

Sold.

So, while I wouldn't want to appropriate any voices, I also don't want to sit quietly in the corner either. I've kicked-it with various artists, activists and intellectuals of all races, and as I come up in the revolutionary game I bounce ideas off everybody for everybody - One World, One Love, let's do this...

I really see it as giving "friends" advice, and welcoming the same. I think most people deeply involved in any movement are intelligent and strong-willed anyway, so they're going to make their own decisions. If I can help suggest ideas to tactically help improve the approach of someone doing something positive... then why not?

I think the obvious key is how respectfully and thoughtfully they present their ideas, a judgment call to be sure. Confidence can be misinterpreted as arrogance (or, it can really be arrogance), but we have to remember why people are engaging in the dialogue in the first place, or visiting a "foreign" space.

First there's curiousity, then appreciation, then understanding, then a relationship, and then you speak. Unless you can count the money it's tougher to find the malice, and since no one's paying me to write this...

(The following analogy may be screwy in principle, but it works in practice if you accept the logic and not the stereotypical characters.)

I've reminded countless sensitive girlfriends (well... okay, not "countless"! :) when I was met with a pout after offering constructive criticism: "Honey, I'm saying this because I love you, so please, try and take it positively for your benefit. If you take every contrary opinion like a personal insult than I'm just gonna have to stop talking or stop being honest: is that better? Why the hell am I here with you if we ain't cool in the first place?"

Keeping an eye out for fakes is smart, but I think with racial politics as sensitive as ever, people who are the "other" in any clique may feel they have to suppress their personality in order to "fit in" to a proscribed role. It's good to know who's saying what, but to deny their freedom to contribute uniquely isn't empowering or inclusive, and can result in any race in any unfamiliar situation feeling like they have to express themselves in a formulaic way someone's stereotype of them insists on.

Individuals break these moulds, and advance the cause of freedom for whatever they represent, so I don't think anyone wants to get hated-on for deviating from the stereotype someone else in a position of power has of them. That goes for everybody, including "black quarterbacks" and "white coaches". There's a fine-line in judging different forms of expression, and the smartest and most progressive people in the world tread it carefully...

People will instinctively judge based on experience and racial cliches reinforced by the media, and for the freest country in the world, a pretty racist society. 181 black men recently arrested in Queen's, NY over a pot-bust that resulted in a cop flesh-wound? If I didn't catch it on democracynow.org I may have missed it completely with the mainstream media ignoring it.

On race, I'm just glad that if I slept on my hip hop + politics news source that day at least these white liberals called it out for me to see. They also hold it down for people unlike me who may never check a hip hop + politics news source, or who, if they google the info they where shocked by, may find Davey D's site. Plus people are busy, so insisting they broaden their horizons is often less-effective than creating more mirrors for the truth...

As investigative journalist Seymour Hersh said about the hidden yet brutal U.S. civil liberties-erosion over the last few years: "People ask me as a reporter if I'm bugged... no-no, they're too smart for that. They left all of us light-skinned people alone and went after those we don't care about, immigrants, foreign students, arabs, muslims, blacks..." and others whose fates don't mobilize collective outrage even when rarely reported about.

(See: Guantanamo, Abu Ghraib... and everything else.)

I recently learned about Viola Liuzzo, the only white woman murdered in the 1960's civil rights struggle in Alabama. The FBI knew her potential power as a tragic and heroic icon white people could relate to, and one that might make them sympathetic to the civil rights movement. So, they worked to discredit and bury her story for years, and now you hardly hear about her civil rights heroism.

Now...

I'm not saying she should get credit over any of the numerous black activists murdered, but it's worth noting that when the bad guys want to isolate us by race in order to destroy us, it's probably not in our best interests to think the same way. It's also worth noting that all progressive movements that succeed eventually became more inclusive to do so, and that meant white people marching with Dr. King, and sikhs and muslims marching with Mahatma Gandhi...

Tactically, we've got to play the golf ball where it landed, and it's been in a white-sand trap for a minute now. We can get creative in finding many different ways to get it rolling towards the black hole, but we can't forget that working with white people - and ANY people, is a sensible option to find the best and most diverse angles to hit it.

It's also the best way to flex in a democracy, since logically even the best ideas are only good enough to work in practice if enough people support them.

I also believe a people's army can only succeed if it is comprised of the most diverse group of people possible, each providing "cover-fire" for it's members. It always helps to have someone say to someone else of their own race: "Nah, he's cool... hear him out." As long as it's true then the educated network grows bigger and stronger, and I'll step to "brown" people on behalf of black friends and (by extension) black culture and correct any negative perceptions I can.

Ignorant fools still operate in mindless herds, and while they're always on the radar as an immediate concern, systemically there's really only a small group of rich evil people in significant positions of power who keep riling them up to keep the world screwed-up. We've got to keep narrowing our enemies-list until we can clearly see who's really keeping the structures in place that are holding us back, and I think we'll probably find the least of our enemies are the people sharing ideas with each other on this message board.

Incidentally, my formal response to the "Why Black Krishna?" name question is:

1) The main Hindu God "Krishna" was historically portrayed as very dark-skinned (often dark "blue" in artwork), and in an East-Indian culture that still obsesses with "light-skin = better", it helps to remember that the "God" we have for all people was conceived as being dark.

2) I'm the "black sheep" of the family.

3) I love "black" culture and hip hop.

There are more answers, but I think I've written enough and hope that's cool for now. I'm just flippin' you the fresh game I'm bringing (with some timeless ideas recycled), thanks for your ear.

If you'd like (as many others have), please check the article on Tupac Shakur I wrote shortly after seeing "Tupac: Resurrection". I finally understood waht the heck he was talking about after years of half-knowledge, and I'm still eatin' off the inspiration. There's only certain times I can write certain things, and it's probably the best examination of the core desire he fought for that we all share: freedom...

Tupacumentary: Living How You Want To Live
shumans.com/guest/tupacumentary/?p=1

Peace, (NOW!!!)
BK

_________________

...

Black Krishna Brand

Philosophy - blackkrishna.blogspot.com/

Music - www.soundclick.com/bands/0/blackkrishna.htm

...

-------------------------------------

SOURCE - http://p076.ezboard.com/fpoliticalpalacefrm1.showMessageRange?topicID=9922.topic&start=121&stop=134

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

deathafterlife
Moderator Supreme
(7/6/05 3:01 pm)

Reply Re: Black Krishna sez hey...

-----------------------------------

BK sounds like an inteligent dude. I look forward to hearing more from him. Not sure if I can hand out passes? But if my vote counts he gets one.

------------------
Hoodrats, don't abortion your womb, we need more warriors soon...

SOURCE - http://p076.ezboard.com/fpoliticalpalacefrm1.showMessageRange?topicID=9922.topic&start=121&stop=138

4:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

tigre35
In House Professor
(7/6/05 3:51 pm)

Reply
Krishna, Dog...

-----------------------------------

"It's good to know who's saying what, but to deny their freedom to contribute uniquely isn't empowering or inclusive"


We aren't interesting in being taught anything NEW from non-blacks - thankyouverymuch.


But, overall, you have a good approach and vibe so, welcome.



Peace.




.
The people with a common ideology, at some point or another, need to exclude those that do not agree with whatever their ideology is. That's the only way to get anything accomplished.

5 Grand

--------------

"Hey Are U Lost or Something Boy" ........"Get Outta Here We Dont Want Your Kind Around Here........."

DJKUT


GOD Is A Frequency. Tune In...

SOURCE - http://p076.ezboard.com/fpoliticalpalacefrm1.showMessageRange?topicID=9922.topic&start=121&stop=138

4:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Black Krishna
Hip Hop Rookie
(7/7/05 3:42 am)

Wideology...

-----------------------------------

deathafterlife, tigre35,

Thanks for your comments and support, much love, and I appreciate the opportunity to contribute to the cause.

I do have an honest question though: what should I (or anyone else) do with something "NEW"?

I'm not sure what to do if I (or others) care to think of ideas to help our fellow citizens through a natural sense of sympathy or empathy (your call on which word works), and then can't at least offer them up to help nuance an existing plan.

"One World, One Love"...

I mean, I thought I was supposed to care like we're all brothers and sisters, even factoring in separate tighter families...

Whether they're used or not, I'd still like to confirm if ideas are really "new" or simply updated versions of old ones, even if only to get better as a revoutionary. Furthermore, I'd like to encourage more people to do the same outside of any artificial limits they set on their abilities, and help people have enough pride to think that something they "think" can actually make a difference in the big picture.

Or...

I guess I can just stop thinking of them...

But...

I think the game is constantly changing, and tactically understanding parts of it or adding new insights can be valuable. With communication challenges in an era of information overload and bias from the corporately-controlled media, perspectives from outside familiar circles can shed light on how to reach unfamiliar circles, de-program stereotypes held within isolated and xenophobic pockets, and prove connections between different people can be made with shared values.

Plus, different perspectives that temporarily or rhetorically challenge old ideas are valuable, as they stand as litmus tests against intellectual complacency. If strategy remains the same then you know with more certainly it's still the correct one, and if ideas remain perpetually and dogmatically untested or unchallenged, they usually devolve into authoritarianism...

Besides, in the end I'm guessing the bad ideas will be laughed at, the good ones respected, and if you're a jerk you'll be called-out... so equilibrium is usually achieved. (Even this thread is a "cleaning house" of sorts.) From the pile of wide-ranging suggestions, activists can debate about and refine the best ones, and then take what they please to add to their arsenal of logic.

I would argue (and please feel free to disagree or disregard) that it's better if more people are encouraged to understand serious issues facing a culture not specifically their own: I really think that would make for a better world. Given time and initiative people can learn to appreciate what another culture is going through, and discover universal human parallels that mirror their own joy and pain. From these links, the most solution-savvy in specific fields can offer unique insights to build bridges between these cultures, or nuance messages that translate to wider audiences.

(I'm trying this now, hence this discussion...)

(I wonder how it'll go...)

A while back I wrote an article just because I was inspired to (and kind of pissed-off, really) called "Kicking It In A Kurtha", and it was published in Canada's largest newspaper.

(I just put it up on my blog for reference - blackkrishna.blogspot.com/)

Meeting some yuppie friends after I left a hip hop event (I try to keep my "yuppie street-cred" too), I was turned away from the yuppie-bar for wearing a bandana. They were polite enough, but I asked to see the dress code which said no jerseys were allowed either. I sniffed discrimination similar to some bars in Atlanta, where African-American locals said no jerseys (unofficially) means "no hip hop/black" people are welcome since this is how most headz usually wanna kick-it casual on an ATL club-nite.

Now...

I saw that wearing a ratty-old $5 Budweiser T-shirt was okay in this joint, but a $500 throwback would get you booted.

Why?

(Please don't say gangs - I covered that and a lot of other issues in the 1000 words they gave me.)

I argued that hip hop was a legitimate "culture", provided proof (which I'm sure we all have versions of), and suggested that if my East-Indian culture was to be respected then so should hip hop's, and that if I can likely just walk in and "Kick It In A Kurtha" without catching beef, then we should ALL be able to kick-it in a jersey.

The good:

Lots of people really liked it, including a bunch who know nothing about hip hop. By linking East-Indian and Hip Hop cultures - which some would caution against, I found many gained a much better understanding of hip hop culture, including old brown people who are hopefully less likely to "tsk-tsk!" the next kid they see harmlessly faux-Crip-walkin' to school in baggy jeans.

(Or vote against anti-discrimination legislation. Or rip into their kids about hip hop. Hey, I'm just sayin'...)

The bad:

Comments like: "But you're not black, why do you care?"

(Am I not supposed to care about fellow human beings?)

Many in society are constantly working independently on new ways to reaffirm it's misguided values. I'm not even being conspiratorial: people just wanna secure they' spots, both rich and poor, and confirm or create the importance of what they are doing. Systemic change scares a lot of people: with your average citizen, they're worried about their shaky present turning into a shakier future; with those higher up in the corporate food chain - what else? Money.

Still, I've come to a point where for my entire life I've heard education is critically underfunded - and that's normal; ghetto's suck - and that's normal; politicians are crooked - and that's normal; "homeless" people - and that's normal; it's all much-much worse in much of the world - and that's normal; and so on...

It's gotta change, and translating and nuancing information to appeal to diverse groups has always been a key to success. Tactically, from Marcus to Malcolm to Martin to Marley... they all brought new ways to convince more people to listen to what are obviously good ideas, and each reached their admirers uniquely.

Heck, I'll even endorse Black Eyed Peas "Where Is The Love?" becoming a huge hit. I don't care if they were "realer" before - that's a matter of taste. I'll accept that for what it is, and I only listen to music I want to anyway. If that's what they want to make as artists - fine, and if they want to sell more records (every artist does) then that's fine too.

I think it's always a bad idea to confuse matters of principle and matters of taste. (I mean, how people who still listen to R. Kelly complain about any other artist's "behaviour" is beyond me...) So, what I really wanna know is: how many people are really asking "Where Is The Love"? Did this help? Did this song reach people other songs didn't? Did this get some of the crowd that dead prez missed?

I don't care to be "the man" with a lot of this stuff: my shine will come as I earn it, and some good ideas are good enough to share without always chasing the almighty dollar. I don't think anything I say - especially from this side (Left + hip hop) of global arguments, can possibly threaten the work of strong black leaders who are knowledgeable about the issues and have the moral authority to lead. New ideas can't harm the goals of any movement unless a) the good ones are discarded before being examined, or b) the bad ones are adopted without being examined.

So, from reparations to self-determination to human rights to equality...

...those who support the ideas of fairness can only cheer the leaders of any movement for peace and justice on, and convince more people of their merit. This necessarily includes people that existing arguments are not reaching right now, 'cause if they were hitting everybody that hard, then this would be real easy.

I want to win.

That's basically it.

And...

By any means effective.

So...

I've spent time thinking about this stuff with a decent understanding of some existing schools of thought, and believe I (among others) can help in unique and valuable ways with the honest desire to. I know race is a huge factor in these and many discussions - especially moreso in the U.S., but I don't think it needs to be a limiter on genuine contributions.

Leadership?

Yes.

I absolutely think that's fair comment that blacks should definitely be steering the ship and controlling the speed, and I don't forget the proprietary nature of the jump-off point of this thread.

So...

In arguing for the merit of ideas as I'm doing here, I'd suggest that those who are not of (more recent) African descent (since we all are originally) should probably just speak our minds and then hold our tongues. We don't have the latitude to speak as forcefully about our positions - heck, I'm probably even catching flack for saying this right now. But, I'm also taking the time and effort to map what I see is another road to freedom, and really, if it just sits in the glovebox of cyberspace I still think it was worth a shot.

In suggesting more ways to win over the hearts and minds of more people who can affect more change for the better... why not encourage it? Why not encourage empathy across the board? Call-out the suckas, call-in the playaz...

If I'm wrong and I'm called-out, that's cool.

I'm done.

There's lots of good old fashioned "Save Da World" 'ish to do, and while I have a particular passion and set of insights to offer here, I can either put them away or adapt them to other cultural struggles, or try to check-in with other venues for discussion.

Please let me know...


Peace, (NOW!!!)
BK

_________________

...

Black Krishna Brand

Philosophy - blackkrishna.blogspot.com/

Music - www.soundclick.com/bands/0/blackkrishna.htm

...

7:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

tigre35
In House Professor
(7/7/05 4:28 pm)
Reply

Re: Krishna, Dog...

-----------------------------------

That was too long for me to read - especially, since I know where I'm coming from no matter what an outsider says.


It seemed well-intentioned enough.


"I do have an honest question though: what should I (or anyone else) do with something "NEW"?


Sell it to YOUR people, not us. Sell it to white people, they're the ones f*cking with everybody else.

Non-blacks don't seem to realize that we've heard it all and we don't want outside opinions. This seems to be extremely difficult for well-intentioned non-blacks to grasp.

How can we not want to hear what you have to tell us about us?

What if you have THE ANSWER and we're just too close-minded to listen?


THAT'S how tired we are of non-blacks and their treatment and opinions of us.

Anyone that REALLY wants to save black people needs to go after crackas and spend less time HERE, presuming to tell us something that's supposedly for our own good.


.
The people with a common ideology, at some point or another, need to exclude those that do not agree with whatever their ideology is. That's the only way to get anything accomplished.

5 Grand

--------------

"Hey Are U Lost or Something Boy" ........"Get Outta Here We Dont Want Your Kind Around Here........."

DJKUT


GOD Is A Frequency. Tune In...

1:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

blackkrishna
Hip Hop Rookie
(7/7/05 9:57 pm)
Reply

Role-playaz...

-----------------------------------

Sounds good, I see your point and agree: the skill-sets us non-blacks bring to the table are less about affecting what blacks think, and more about changing what everybody else thinks, especially the communities we ethnically naturally represent.

I don't see very much as mutually exclusive, I think we often come to those conclusions too early in a competitive society. In seeking to clarify our roles as you've suggested here, I wanted to ensure that those who aren't black are seen as more than the "other". This is not because of hurt feelings, but because it is more practical to give non-blacks the confidence to step to "crackas" and others talking @#%$, and for them to come up with complementary ideas that work to influence their own people.

(Not "equal" on a black political message board - you run the show, I agree, but valued for what we can bring and encouraged to do so in order to affect change.)

I'm also inevitably speaking on behalf of those who won't ask the questions I will, I'm more practiced at it and that comes in handy. It's risky to question what the guys in charge say especially on race-based issues, so thanks for understanding and suggesting a clear and empowering role for us.


Peace, (NOW!!!)
BK

_________________

...

Black Krishna Brand

Philosophy - blackkrishna.blogspot.com/

Music - www.soundclick.com/bands/0/blackkrishna.htm

...

2:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home