Wednesday, July 13, 2005

"...not simply equality as a right but equality as a reality and practice..."

"I got my MBA at Marcy Projects."

- Jay-Z

(...)

"You have a higher chance of getting shot because you're talking to me than if you never met me. See, my lifestyle's different from what you'd consider the norm, because I come from an environment where the price of life is cheap."

- 50 Cent

(...)

"I don't think of myself as a poor deprived ghetto girl who made good. I think of myself as somebody who from an early age knew I was responsible for myself, and I had to make good."

"I always knew I was destined for greatness."

"When I look into the future, it's so bright it burns my eyes."

"I still have my feet on the ground, I just wear better shoes."

- Oprah Winfrey

(...)

"I'm rich, bitch!"

- Dave Chappelle

(...)

it's not the exceptional people we should worry about...

nor cite as examples to celebrate minority progress...

they'll usually be successful one way...

or the other...


(...)

so really...

if we look hard...

we can all clearly see...

it's just the rest of our peers...


(...)

Los Angeles blacks still fare poorly, study shows

By Alexandria Sage
46 minutes ago

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Blacks in America's second-largest city fare the worst among all major races in education, health, economics, housing and criminal justice, according to a study released on Wednesday.

"The State of Black Los Angeles," prepared by the United Way and the Urban League of Los Angeles, said the promise of the American Dream was still out of reach for many blacks in the city.

"At the heart of this shortfall is a fundamental issue of equality -- not simply equality as a right but equality as a reality and practice," it said.

Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa was joined by religious and community leaders, including Police Chief William Bratton, at a downtown panel to voice concern at the sobering picture presented in the study.

The study found that nearly half of black L.A. high school students don't graduate within four years, that the median household income for blacks is more than $20,000 below that of white families and that the 14 percent black unemployment rate is more than double that for whites and Asians.

SOURCE - http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050713/us_nm/life_blacks_dc_1

(...)

If I wasn't in the rap game
I'd probably have a key knee deep in the crack game
Because the streets is a short stop
Either you're slingin crack rock or you got a wicked jumpshot
Shit, it's hard being young from the slums
Eatin five cent gums not knowin where your meals comin from
And now the shit's gettin crazier and major
Kids younger than me, they got the sky grand pagers
Goin outta town, blowin up
Six months later all the dead bodies showin up
It make me wanna grab the nine and the shottie
But I gotta go identify the body
Damn, what happened to the summertime cookouts?
Everytime I turn around a nigga gettin took out
Shit, my momma got cancer in her breast
Don't ask me why I'm motherfuckin stressed,
Things done changed...

- The Notorious B.I.G. "Things Done Changed"

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot! » »

11:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home